Subject: Re: those dumb questions
To: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/18/1995 10:42:17
On Mar 16,  6:29pm, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Also, when re-building my kernel using the 2-14 generic kernel the
> system wedged.  Many procs (my shell, inetd, rlogind, etc) were in
> stuck in D waits.  This happened twice in a row when the make of the
> kernel failed.  I was able to halt the system via an existing console
> login.  Both the kernel sources & my home directory (I was building as
> me) were nfs-mounted, so I'm thinking something might have broken in
> the nfs-code.

I've got /usr mounted from an Ultrix box and my home directory mounted
from an Solaris 2.3 box and haven't had any problems at all.  (Well,
almost no problems.  There's something fishy about Solaris mounts, but
I've got a workaround and the same problem exists on NetBSD i386 as
well.  I've been compiling out of both directories without any problems
at all.)

While on the subject of NFS, has anyone had any success at going
completely diskless?  I've got rarp going on an Ultrix box, and
rpc.bootparamd on a NetBSD i386 box.  When I try and mount my root
filesystem on an Ultrix box, I get RPC permission denied, and when I
try to mount of the i386 or a Solaris box, I get RPC packet size
incorrect errors.

Simon.