Subject: Re: those dumb questions
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/1995 19:23:46
Simon Burge writes:

 > While on the subject of NFS, has anyone had any success at going
 > completely diskless?  I've got rarp going on an Ultrix box, and
 > rpc.bootparamd on a NetBSD i386 box.  When I try and mount my root
 > filesystem on an Ultrix box, I get RPC permission denied, and when I
 > try to mount of the i386 or a Solaris box, I get RPC packet size
 > incorrect errors.

I've not had success, but I've been bitten by the same problem.

I've run a packet-filter and watched nfs-mounts happen both from
Ultrix and from a diskless machine failing to mount root.

As far as I can tell, the only differences between ultrix packets
going to mountd & the ones generated by a diskless kernel is that
ultrix says its using auth flavour 1, and sends 88 bytes of info,
including things like the time, the machine name, the uid the mount
request is coming from, the groups that user is in, etc.
... the diskless kernel says its using auth flavor 0 & sends nothing.
The diskless kernel is sending requests from a privledged port
(1023).

I got this far and gave up diskless booting a month or so ago..

Drew