Subject: Re: updated bootblocks on Gregorio.Stanford.EDU
To: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
From: Ethan VanMatre <evm@pacifier.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/1995 09:42:47
---
evm@pacifier.com

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Ethan,
>
> All of this stuff has happened to me before... I spent a frustrating
> week exploring the same things you are now & having the same
> problems.
>
> I think there may be something wrong with the kernel in latest
> miniroot... I had the exact same problems as you describe when using
> it.
>
> I finally had success using:
> o latest bootblocks (3-8?)
> o ultrix executable version of netbsd disklabel
> o 2-14 miniroot
>

> Drew

Drew,

Using a fresh copy of the 2-14 miniroot and the disklabel program as you
suggest I get further but it still hangs...

What I have done is:

dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rz0c bs=512          This places the 2-14 miniroot
disklabel -B -R /dev/rrz0c seagate          using a file I made up 'seagate'
sync

Now, if I do a disklabel I can see the disklabel on the drive.

When I boot I get the copyright notice, it sees the correct memory (24MB)
tells me that it is NetBSD 1.0A from 15 Feb 19:48
and  mpile/GENERIC.pmax. It sees dc0, pm0, and le0. Sii0 is found rz0 is
found with the correct sector count and then it gives me a meaasge
"MsgOut 1" and hangs.

Is this a disk problem? Or is my DS3100 too for out of date or ???

As a side note, I went back to the 8-march miniroot and got the same
exception crash...

What I will do is take this seagate disk (st11200n) and place it on my
5k/25 to see what happens there. It looks to be hanging in the scsi code.

Thanks, Ethan