Subject: Re: those dumb questions
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/1995 21:38:51
Chris G. Demetriou writes:
 > It's assumed that if you're going to boot to single-user mode, you're
 > going to check the disks yourself.  To do it differently would cause
 > problems, in the case of:
 > 	boot to multi-user
 > 	"shutdown"
 > 	do dumps from single user mode (or whatever operation you please)
 > 	hit control-D to go back to multi-user mode.

Ah.. makes sense - and reminds me of another question I wanted to ask
- are there any plans for marking filesystems clean upon unmounting
them so as to skip checks of most filesystems when rebooting after
normal shutdowns?

 > The reason why ypbind checks to see if /var/yp exists is so that it
 > can do the right thing with the /var/yp/binding(s?) directory...

I come from an Ultrix background & Ultrix only uses /var/yp for
ypserv.  Since there wasn't a man page handy telling me this was
correct, I just assumed that it was a typo...

Thanks for the quick answers,

Drew