Subject: Re: updated bootblocks on Gregorio.Stanford.EDU
To: Ethan VanMatre <evm@pacifier.com>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/1995 09:29:18
Ethan VanMatre writes:
 > I've been having trouble...
 >
 > Using the latest boot.dd (8 march) and miniroot (10 march) I have not
 > gotten very far.
 >

 > What I do is:
 >
 > cat boot.dd > /dev/rz0c
 > dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rz0c bs=512 seek=16
 >
 > Then I shut down my system ( a DS3100 Ultrix 4.3a)
 >
 > Now to the boot:
 >
 > >>boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd
 >
 > to which I get:
 >
 > BOOT: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
 > open(rz(0,0,0)netbsd) failed: -1
 > Can't boot 'rz(0,0,0)netbsd'
 >
 > KN01 V7.02

Thank God, I'm not the only one ;-)

I was having problems just as you described.  With much help from Ted
Lemon (specifically, his port of NetBSD disklabel to Ultrix) I was
able to get going.

If you have Ultrix, I'd suggest grabbing disklabel from
~ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/tools on ftp.netbsd.org.  Write and install  a
label that puts a at an offset >= 16.  Place your bootblocks (rzboot &
bootrz) in the ultrix /usr/mdec (this is safe, as Ultrix uses one
file, bookblks, for its boot blocks), and install them using the -B
arg to disklabel.

Then dd the miniroot to wherever you started a on the NetBSD disk. If
you started a at 16, then you'd say 'dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rrz#c skip=16'

For some odd reason, I couldn't get the latest miniroot of Jonathan's
to work - the kernel loaded & then the machine hung (3100, KN01
V7.03).  But I managed to get off the ground using the 2-14 version.

If you need more help, feel free to send me mail -- I just went
through all this in the last 48 hours.

Drew

PS: I'm going to send out some dumb questions/comments when I get a
chance later in the day - they may be of some use to you..