Subject: Re: updated bootblocks on Gregorio.Stanford.EDU
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Ethan VanMatre <evm@pacifier.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/1995 01:02:03
On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> See /pub/NetBSD/pmax/mdec-march-7/README, boot-dd, rzboot and bootrz.
>
> These bootblocks print out somewhat more information when
> they encounter an error.  I haven't gone into the UFS code
> and put diagnostic messages there; but an error code from open()
> is likely to be helpful.
>
> These worked for me on a 5k/200 and 5k/240, and all I changed between
> this and the version that worked on a 3100 and a 5k/25 was adding the
> printf()s in stand/boot.c.
>
> I hope this is of some help to those who were having problems
> with the Valentine's Day  bootblocks
>
> --Jonathan

Hi,

I've been having trouble...

Using the latest boot.dd (8 march) and miniroot (10 march) I have not
gotten very far.

What I do is:

cat boot.dd > /dev/rz0c
dd if=miniroot of=/dev/rz0c bs=512 seek=16

Then I shut down my system ( a DS3100 Ultrix 4.3a)

Now to the boot:

>>boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd

to which I get:

BOOT: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
open(rz(0,0,0)netbsd) failed: -1
Can't boot 'rz(0,0,0)netbsd'

KN01 V7.02

I also have a ds5000/25 that I got the same results with using the normal
boot command. I should add that I have tried this on a 1 GB seagate disk
and on a RZ23. No diff.

The Can't boot message is from the boot code boot.c.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Ethan