Subject: Re: Need help to install NetBSD 1.0 on DECstation 5000/120.
To: None <ktwong@acs.ucalgary.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/25/1995 22:35:20
NetBSD 1.0 doesn't run on the pmax, at least in any way that you'd
want to deal with.   If you want to get pmax sources, you need to get
them from ftp.netbsd.org or one of its mirrors, and you need to get
NetBSD-current, not NetBSD 1.0.

The best way to bootstrap right now is probably to get a copy of the
miniroot that Jonathan Stone has made available on
gregorio.stanford.edu (I'm not sure exactly where) and boot that.
Once you've been able to successfully boot a miniroot, you can grab a
copy of the binary distribution on ftp.netbsd.org or a mirror, under
pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/arch/pmax.   Build root and /usr filesystems
from the miniroot, mount them as (e.g.) /mnt and /mnt/usr, and then
untar the binary distribution there and tweak the files in (e.g.)
/mnt/etc to suit your needs.

Jonathan can probably tell you more about his miniroot - I haven't
tried it yet...

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com