Subject: Re: DS3100 serial ports
From: The Dragon De Monsyne <dragondm@netcom.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/12/1995 20:49:01
On Thu, 9 Feb 1995, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
>
> >You might be able to pound the driver to do hardware flow control right,
> >but I'd still be surprised to see a 3100 talk to a serial port at 9600 while
> >doing anything else -- and unless the UART in your modem can handle 3% fuzz
> >in the inbound data rate, you're not going to get anywhere at 19.2, though as
> >I recall that goddamned DZ11-on-a-chip can sometimes, if you're lucky,
> >recieve okay at 19.2 -- but don't count on it.
>
> O tempore, o mores.
>
> If one is *really* dedicated, there is a solution.  If an 11/750 can
> keep up with a second unibus full of DZ-11s, a paltry R2000A should be
> able to keep up with one DZ-11.  Use the 4bsd solution: pseudo-dma, in
> hand-tuned assembler, jammed into the interrupt handler.  (Thank
> goodness GCC has better support for this than PCC did.)  This doesn't
> address bit-clocking-fuzz problems, though.
>
> Of course this would require more person-hours than it's worth;
> buying a cheap x86 should be a better solution. Or even
> an 8-serial-ports-on-a-scsi-bus device, if you can get the interface
> spec (they tend to be proprietary and non-disclosure) to write
> a NetBSD driver.
>

> Insert :) as appropriate. It's left as an exercise to the reader which
> parts need them, and which don't.  And now back to our regularly
> scheduled broadcast...

  /~~   -The Dragon De Monsyne                   /  The Integration     ~~\
/       dragondm@netcom.com                     |    /     /     \          \
\       Ph(815) 385-6166 | (815)344-0771      __|___/_____/______/          /
 \      The Integration Project                 |        /                 /
  \ __  Public Internet For The Future         /        /  Project      __/