Subject: Where to start with a pmax
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ethan VanMatre <evm@pacifier.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/06/1995 20:52:51
Two thoughts RE the VS3100 verses the DS3100. The VS3100 comes in 2
versions. one with a 44 MHz clock and 2.7 mips and the other a 66 MHz
clock and 3.8 Mips. You can convert the slower to the faster by putting a
66 MHz clock into it and moving a jumper. Cost is about $5.

The DS3100, R2000 based decstation comes in 2 versions. the 12 MHz
version (DS2100 about 8 mips) and the 16MHz version (DS3100 about 12
mips) I have not converted one over to the other like I have with the
VAX. The DS3100 sell for less than $300. So getting a pmax machine to run
netbsd on is cost effective. Also, it may be possable to run it at 20
MHz. More after I run some tests...

I do have a question. Where toi get what is needed to put 4.4BSD or
NetBSD on a pmax?

If you have the 4.4BSD-Lite cdrom what else do you need?

Regards, Ethan

---
evm@pacifier.com