Subject: Status (or, why you don't have a distribution yet)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/16/1995 08:58:55
I was able to get a distribution together before I left for usenix,
but unfortunately, when I installed it, it wouldn't boot.   I
discovered this at 9AM yesterday.   I had a 12:25 flight.   I just
wasn't able to debug it in time.   Sigh.   I will try again when I get
back.

The distribution that I've built is all ELF binaries, and I'll be
checking changes into the kernel this week to support that.   Beware -
they could break things for you, so if you're in the habit of supping,
building and installing, make sure you keep a safe copy of at least
your kernel binary.   The changes aren't very risky, but I don't want
to leave somebody dead in the water if I've made a mistake.

Meanwhile, I can make copies of the distribution available anyway if
people are interested in playing with it (but it'll be useless to you
until I've checked in the ELF changes).   The problem happens sometime
around when init gets run - that's all I was able to diagnose before I
left.   Sigh.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.