Subject: Re: GNU as vs DEC as for bootstrapping
To: Marc Evans <marc@destek.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1994 12:42:35
You're losing with DEC as because Ultrix doesn't put underscores in
front of C extern names, but BSD does.   You're losing with a.out as
because stabs doesn't have the concept of an alternate entry point
name, or at least BFD a.out doesn't.   You can work around the latter
problem by taking out the .aent statements in MachAsmDefs.h.   Working
around the former requires modifying every C-visible external
reference or definition, which is a pain in the butt.   I'm going to
check in a temporary workaround for this problem this weekend.   This
will go away once we've got a solid toolchain that everybody's using.

> 	- The config generated Makefile needs to be hand-tweeked to comment
> 	  out the AS, CC, CPP and LD command definitions so that the ones
> 	  defined in sys.mk are used (only needed for bootstrapping?).

Depends on what tools you're using.   I think this is probably the
right thing to do, though - anybody else want to put in their two
cents?

> 	- lib/libkern/Makefile.inc needed to be hacked to work with the
> 	  Ultrix shell(s) (only needed for bootstrap):

Or just build the 4.4/NetBSD printf command, which is what I did.
You're right, though - either way works.

I'll look at the other problems - I also just supped a new kernel, so
I should run into the same bogosity you're running into, as long as
it's generic.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.