Subject: Re: got a kernel, now what?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arnold Robbins <arnold@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/12/1994 11:38:36
> What do the rest of you think?  Do you view this as useful or a
> waste of time?

I think being able to bootstrap from Ultrix *is* a good thing. Much like
the bootstrapping off SunOS for the sparc.

I have a ton of 5100s running Ultrix. Ideally, I'd like to mount a
spare disk on the Ultrix box, untar a netbsd binary distribution,
maybe install a new boot block on the new disk, and then reboot off
the new disk.

The big hold back here is that netbsd won't run read/write off of an
Ultrix filesystem.  My impression (without having looked at code) is
that this is a SMOP issue, i.e., nothing "major" other than someone's time
to do.

Clearly, being able to bring up a dead pmax with no OS is and still should
be the ultimate goal.  But for someone with an already running system,
being able to shorten the cycle could only be viewed as a good thing.

Thanks,

Arnold