Subject: Summary [was Re: Got a kernel, now what?]
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1994 13:26:38
cgd wrote:

> Dean's the port maintainer.  he should be doing stuff like this, or
> coordinating other peoples' efforts to do so.
>
> if he's not doing his "job" adequately, then somebody who can and will
> should probably step up to do it.

Are you implying I'm not doing my job Chris?  I've put in all the patches
I have received that 'core' would approve of.  If anyone else wants my
job I'll gladly give it up!

> Unfortunately, as far as i'm _aware_ exactly one person in 'core' has
> a pmax, and even that machine (if it's still in adam's possesion; i
> dunno, is it?) isn't very good for development.

This machine that "isn't very good for development" is all I have to work
with!

> You'll note that NetBSD is supposed to be supported, at least in part,
> by the users.  Nobody has really stood up and said "i want to do the
> work of supporting the pmax port," and has actually _done_ it...

If sending patches counts as support, I wouldn't say "nobody".

> You've submitted a fair number of diffs, some of which are "good" some
> of which aren't.  Unfortunately, the person who's being the pmax
> maintainer right now doesn't appear to be doing the job to your
> satisfaction.  _we_ can't help that, except by proposing that he be
> replaced with another volunteer, and i don't see people jumping for
> the chance to be yelled at for not volunteering enough time.

I'll say it again: I've put in all the patches I have received that
'core' would approve of.

Johnathan and I get along fine.  I am very grateful for all the patches,
support and help he has given me.  I'm fairly certain that he is
satisfied with the job I am doing.

I sense that there is a lot of people unsatisfied with the pmax progress.
Am I the sole person responsible for the lack of progress?  When I started
I was told that my job would mostly consist of merging patches and
coordinating peoples efforts.  So far I have only received one patch that
wasn't from Johnathan.

If anyone has any constructive criticism of my work,  I'll be listening...

Dean.