Subject: None
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.STANFORD.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1994 13:02:38
> Adam Glass writes:
>
> >My executive summary is that it would take 1 day to swallow the guts
> >of the sprite dec boot code, and combine it with some already existing
> >code to open files on UFS.
>
> Fine. I'm sure you could.  When are you going to?  The problem is,
> nobody seems to *want* to, and at the same time, the NetBSD core team
> seems to be collectively saying ``booting ECOFF isn't important'',
> ``this is a trivial issue'', and ``it's not worth solving'', all at
> the same time.

Dean's the port maintainer.  he should be doing stuff like this, or
coordinating other peoples' efforts to do so.

if he's not doing his "job" adequately, then somebody who can and will
should probably step up to do it.

Unfortunately, as far as i'm _aware_ exactly one person in 'core' has
a pmax, and even that machine (if it's still in adam's possesion; i
dunno, is it?) isn't very good for development.

That means that we can't:
	(1) develop new pmax code
	(2) fix existing pmax code
	(3) fix random things that one could only see on
		hardware/software that we don't have (e.g. the
		problems that apparently happen with when fsck -c1 or
		-c2'ing Ultrix UFS's).  For stuff like that, people
		_need_ to submit patches and then convince us that
		they're correct.

You'll note that NetBSD is supposed to be supported, at least in part,
by the users.  Nobody has really stood up and said "i want to do the
work of supporting the pmax port," and has actually _done_ it...

You've submitted a fair number of diffs, some of which are "good" some
of which aren't.  Unfortunately, the person who's being the pmax
maintainer right now doesn't appear to be doing the job to your
satisfaction.  _we_ can't help that, except by proposing that he be
replaced with another volunteer, and i don't see people jumping for
the chance to be yelled at for not volunteering enough time.

chris