Subject: Re: Got a kernel, now what?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/08/1994 10:06:42
> 	1)	Use gcc, not Ultrix's cc.
Yup.   You need long long support.

> 	2)	Change the make rule to use a temporary file for .S files,
> 		because Ultrix's "as" would not assemble from stdin.
You can also just call gcc on the .S file, and it will preprocess it
for you.   Is there any reason not to just change the distribution
Makefile to do this?

> 	3)	Change a whole lot of _<routine> to <routine> references
> 		in locore.S.  Seems that Ultrix doesn't prepend an
> 		underscore to symbol names.

I actually went to the trouble of macrofying locore.S so that it can
be compiled either way - each symbol is encapsulated in a cpp macro,
like this:

	.globl	US(foo)
US(foo):	...

Then US can be defined as follows:

#ifdef PREPEND_UNDERSCORES
# ifdef __STDC__
#  define US(x)	_##x
# else
#  define US(x) _/**/x
# endif
#else
# define US(x)	x
#endif

I'd be willing to submit these changes if there's interest in merging
them in.  They're in the December 3 locore.S and fp.S, so they'd be
pretty easy to integrate into the existing tree...

> Now I get to the standard "WARNING: no swap space found" that it seems
> everyone else has had a problem with.  I saw a suggestion in the old
> lists about changing the default partition table in rz.c, but now I
> just get a hang instead of a panic...  I've tried both 4.2A and 4.4
> init with the same results.

I'm getting this with the new kernel too.  What's weird is that I
*wasn't* getting this with the old kernel.  Whether that's because I
was getting the swap space before or whether it's because the kernel
is now notifying me about something that it wasn't notifying me about
before I don't know - I've never been able to convince myself that
disk paging worked on the pmax.  BTW, I'm trying to page to a disk
partitioned under 4.4BSD, not Ultrix or NetBSD.

Anyway, as you've probably noticed, I don't have answers to your
questions, but at least now you know that somebody else is in the same
boat... :')

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division
mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com					+1 415 477 5045