Subject: Got a kernel, now what?
To: Terry R. Friedrichsen <>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/08/1994 16:27:48
Hi folks.

Thanks to Terry, I've compiled the pmax kernel under Ultrix.

Three things I had to do to get this far were:

	1)	Use gcc, not Ultrix's cc.
	2)	Change the make rule to use a temporary file for .S files,
		because Ultrix's "as" would not assemble from stdin.
	3)	Change a whole lot of _<routine> to <routine> references
		in locore.S.  Seems that Ultrix doesn't prepend an
		underscore to symbol names.

Now I get to the standard "WARNING: no swap space found" that it seems
everyone else has had a problem with.  I saw a suggestion in the old
lists about changing the default partition table in rz.c, but now I
just get a hang instead of a panic...  I've tried both 4.2A and 4.4
init with the same results.

The root filesystem is just an Ultrix ufs with a /sbin directory with
Ultrix's init in there.

One drastic step I've tried is to make a filesystem under 386/netbsd,
put the right files there and copy the image to the RZ32L on the
DECstation (5000/120 now that I think to mention it).  It complained about
not finding ultrixboot, so I loaded the kernel via mop.  I didn't get
the "WARNING: no swap space found" message, but got a message about not
finding a disklabel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Simon.