Subject: Re: another how to kind of question
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/01/1994 23:27:57
> If you have a bitmapped console, its type is ``unknown''.  The
> built-in console support is just a glass tty with no cursor control.

> > Second question, has anyone tried compiling and running either X11R5 or R6
> > on the decstation under netbsd?
>
> Yes, others have done this successfully.  I don't have a monitor so I
> haven't tried.

Tell me more.  I gave this a try (X11R6) but no joy.  I know virtually
nothing about X11, but I don't have room on my desk for a terminal and
another keyboard.

I couldn't even figure out how to make it understand that it was on a
NetBSD system.  I even tried it under Ultrix 4.2, to see if I might
learn something from watching that, and although it did automagically
figure out that it was Ultrix 4.2, it still wouldn't complete.  Wound up
with /bin/sh dumping core over and over.  I threw up my hands.

I need to make room on my desk; a vt220 is a much simpler solution.

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com      Usual disclaimers apply.
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot