Subject: Re: Looking for cross-compiled disklabel or bootblocks
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/30/1994 10:37:01
> > Quick and dirty method:
> >
> > ftp fsa.ca:pmax/bootblock.pmax
> > cat bootblock.pmax miniroot > /dev/rrz#c
> > halt
> > boot -f rz(0,#,0)netbsd
>
> I did this, and it did boot!
>
> I had tried the
> > Slower more customizable method (still dirty though):
> and botched it, so I tried the dummy's version and it booted up and gave
> me the tic-tac-toe prompt!
>
> The label that it put on my disk didn't match the disk well at all, so I
> went back and did the customizable method again.

Yes, the label is matches my test drive.  You can change it with disklabel
when the miniroot is booted.

> So now I've got the miniroot up and I need to figure out how to make a
> complete system.  I've got Jonathon's userland binaries from gregorio,
> and I saw that the miniroot has ifconfig and rcp, and I thought, "Can it
> be this easy?"
>
> No, it can't, of course.  ifconfig worked fine, but rcp always tells me:
>
>     rcp: unknown user 0

Easy fix:

mount /
cd /etc
pwd_mkdb master.passwd

You'll want to eventually get your 'a' partition the size you want it and
newfs it.  This can be tricky... (you may want to create the partition on
another NetBSD machine using vnode pseudo disk stuff, then dd it on)

Good luck!

Dean.