Subject: Re: NetBSD kernel and Ultrix init never automatically reboot +FIX
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/31/1994 00:57:00
> Yes, it's how 4.4-lite works. Historically, 4.3BSD-Tahoe and
> 4.3BSD-Reno followed the same conventions as Ultrix, and (I am told)
> SunOS 4.1.x.

I didn't know that; i just sent some mail off to a few people who
would know, however.  From the looks of it (at least from the man
page), tune SunOS 4.1.x init(8) only takes -b and -s as arguments.

> I don't see an init in a local Net-2 tree (though it's
> possible someone clobbered it now that 4.4-Lite is out.).  From memory
> 4.3BSD did the same thing, though I don't have sources to check. That
> would certainly be consistent with other 4.3BSD derivatives also using
> the same convention.

There was no free init at the time of Net/2.

> I wasn't expecting the NetBSD core team to approve this patch.
> My perspective is, it's a real boon for anyone getting a port up;
> and I'd include it in my *own* tree. I suspect anyone else getting
> a port boostrapped would also find a patch with the same net effect
> useful.

I quite agree.  However, i've only seen '-a' needed on two systems,
both of which came out of DEC.  The real answer will probably be in my
mailbox tomorrow afternoon.  If init's args _were_ changed, i'll try
to find out why...

later,

chris