Subject: kernel address mapping
To: None <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
From: Charlie Root <root@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/26/1994 22:12:39
Hi,

   forgive my ignorance on this one, but how are the data structures that
   would normally end up in kernel virtual memory, such as the buffer
   cache, mapped on the PMAX?
You're right. (I'm the Big dummy:-) I took a look and, in fact, both the buffer
cache blocks and the mbuf clusters are in mapped address space.

In other words, what I said before was WRONG! You do need to check to see
if a kva is in mapped space or not, since the mbuf clusters are in mapped
address space. (Although I will note that this is a result of the generic
uipc_mbuf.c code and could actually be a performance hit for the pmax,
since you could get tlb misses when accessing them.)

Oh well, sorry about that, rick