Subject: Bootstrapping pmax NetBSD with gcc, Ultrix as/ld?
To: None <port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/04/1994 14:01:24
I can't get a kernel built. I've just sup'ed the ksrc-common and
ksrc-pmax distributions, and followed the directions in
doc/pmax/BUILD.  I've been using gcc 2.5.8 and the Ultrix 4.2a
as/ld. I've rebuilt libkern/qdivrem.o without the ld -x step, to get
around a bug in the ultrix ld.

I've commented in the lines in locore.s that explictly load $gp.  I'm
guessing this is the appropriate thing to do when using the Mips
toolset.  (I don't know a suitable preprocessor to test for the Mips
assembler, vs. a NetBSD assembler, or I'd include a patch.) Without
this I get lots of error messages from ld about unresolvable GP_REL
symbols.

A resulting kernel, configured from GENERIC.pmax seems to boot off an
Ultrix partition, and is capable of mounting an Ultrix ufs root
partition. But the Ultrix mount(8) can't mount an Ultrix ufs.

I don't have a good sense of where the port should go from here.  Does
it make more sense to cross-compile a root partition containing a
NetBSD init, sh, mount, and so on; or to bash on the Ultrix
compatibility code?