Subject: Re: getting multiuser by cross-compiling (e.g., on Ultrix)?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Marc Evans - Contract Software Hacker <marc@Synergytics.Com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1994 19:45:07
> That's not what I was trying to say. One can leave the objects, and
> objects in .a files, and tables of contents, in ECOFF/native
> DECstation format right up until the final link step -- and only
> *then* smash them into a.out.  Either with gnu ld, linked
> with a bdf configured to know about a.out _and_ ECOFF; or with
> a handwritten special-purpose tool.
>
> This might lose debugging symbols, but everything else should be fine.
> I've done much the same thing before, even with the Ultrix cc and
> cfront, to produce binaries for the V kernel.

Go for it. Any progress is good progress 8-).

- Marc
Marc Evans, Software Consultant       WB1GRH      Synergytics
E-Mail: Marc@Synergytics.Com                      21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                +1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            Unix & X11 internals/apps