Subject: Re: getting multiuser by cross-compiling (e.g., on Ultrix)?
To: None <Marc@Synergytics.Com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1994 16:42:18
>> Is there some reason to not try the following approach to going
>> multiuser with NetBSD on a decstation:

 [elided]

>A number of months ago I tried to "configure --target-mips-dec-bsd ..." for
>gcc, and the utilities (as, ld, ar, etc). I didn't get very far.

That's not what I was trying to say. One can leave the objects, and
objects in .a files, and tables of contents, in ECOFF/native
DECstation format right up until the final link step -- and only
*then* smash them into a.out.  Either with gnu ld, linked
with a bdf configured to know about a.out _and_ ECOFF; or with
a handwritten special-purpose tool.

This might lose debugging symbols, but everything else should be fine.
I've done much the same thing before, even with the Ultrix cc and
cfront, to produce binaries for the V kernel.