Subject: Re: getting multiuser by cross-compiling (e.g., on Ultrix)?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Marc Evans - Contract Software Hacker <marc@Synergytics.Com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1994 19:25:18
> Is there some reason to not try the following approach to going
> multiuser with NetBSD on a decstation:
>
> 	* Use gcc -nostdinc on a decstation to compile libc.a &c on a
> 	* Use gcc to compile a root partition and whatever
> 	  is needed to go multiuser, to .o files.
> 	* Use gcc -nostdinc -l<cross-compiled .a files> to  link those
> 	  .o files, and the .a files produced first, into ECOFF executables,
> 	  containing _native_ NetBSD syscalls
> 	* Use GNU ld or  a specially-written utility to smash
> 	  the ECOFF binaries into native [i.e., non-emulatnio-mode]
> 	  Netbsd (a.out?) format for the PMAX.

A number of months ago I tried to "configure --target-mips-dec-bsd ..." for
gcc, and the utilities (as, ld, ar, etc). I didn't get very far. I think I was
using 2.5.5 at the time. The release notes in the GNU code don't indicate that
newer versions would make this any easier. So, in summary, my experience was
that this required a fair bit of work to get the cross compiler working...

- Marc
Marc Evans, Software Consultant       WB1GRH      Synergytics
E-Mail: Marc@Synergytics.Com                      21 Hinds Lane, Suite 23L
PGP-2.6 key available upon request                +1 603 635 3857 (voice/fax)
MIME-1.0 & Enriched-Text mail accepted            Unix & X11 internals/apps