Subject: Re: some success, some troubles
To: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.duke.edu>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/26/1994 20:53:14

> My first problem was that it wasn't finding any swap space.
>
> In order to get it to boot, I've managed to get the swap added via
> some hacks.  In the file src/sys/arch/pmax/dev/rz.c I uncommented some
> code in rzgetinfo.  It doesn't seem to read ultrix disk labels, so
> changed the default disk label to exactly match the partition info on
> my root disk.  This seemed to get the swap added.  At least there are
> no more complaints ;-)

this is wierd.  if someone could change the disksubr.c code to read
these disklabels, .....

> My next problem deals with memory allocation.  It boots, (ultrix) init
> starts,  and starts (ultrix) sh.  After the execve of /bin/sh, a break
> call is issued, which fails with ENOMEM, sh dies, and init tries again
> to create sh, and so on..

break() failing is known.  in my case sh doesn't die.

> I've traced this back to vm_map_insert() (in src/sys/vm/vm_map.c)
> failing, due to the call to vm_map_lookup_entry() returning true, which
> I guess means that the requested address is part of an existing entry.
> The call to vm_map_insert looks like:
>
> map=0xc0416400, object=0x0, offset=0x0, start=0x10001000, end=0x10002000

hmm...this is farther than i got.

warning: for people trying to debug this problem, the rlimits are now
*QUADS* so printf doesn't do the right thing w/them.

> Has this bee seen before/fixed?
>
> Drew

seen, yes.  fixed, no.