Subject: Re: General status information
To: None <explorer@iastate.edu, port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/22/1993 19:15:44
> What's the status of the port?  I've got a few spare DS2100 or better
> class machines sitting around...

The code is in the tree almost unchanged from how it was donated.  It
needs to be fixed to do things "the NetBSD way".

A few people volunteered to help get this code working, but we've not
heard much from them.

The code is from 4.4 -- hence it is much easier/better to merge it
into the NetBSD magnum branch. This branch is (as yet) not available
to the net at large... only people who have sun-lamp accounts can work
on it easily.

The magnum branch does various things as they are done in 4.4. These
things ARE important -- it would probably take 4-6 times longer to
make the pmax code work in a NetBSD-current environment. A number of
ports already use the magnum tree (sparc, sun3) and others are being
changed to use it (i386, pc532). Yes.. that means there are about 4
people familiar with what changes need to be made.

So, if you're a wiley hacker who wants to make this happen, get in
touch with me. (It should not take too long if you pay close attention
to what had to be changed to make the sparc port fit in, perhaps 2
weeks till you are able to build a crash-and-burn kernel.)

I would *love* to see this port working.