Subject: Re: NetBSD/pc532 directions
To: None <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/24/2006 21:36:06
Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com> writes:
> If NetBSD supports a toaster, it should be able to support the ns32k.

We don't support the toaster platform per se.

> Is the pdp10 still supported?

It never was supported. I don't think it has ever gone multiuser.

> Personally I can live without pthreads, or ELF, or shared libraries.

Unfortunately, that breaks the rest of the build system in all sorts
of places, and maintaining lots of stuff for the sake of the old
platforms is why we're kind of miffed. We would like to use c99 stuff
in the kernel, for instance, but having no compiler for ns32k that
will handle such constructs, doing that would make ns32k no longer
compile even with an old compiler.

> Rather than attempting heroic efforts to keep -current working
> forever, or dropping support altogether, perhaps there is a middle
> ground where the pc532 is supported through release FOO, and
> release FOO continues to get bugfixes, but not new features?

We would have to spend time pulling up fixes for an old release --
manpower is not unlimited.

> On the flip side, can we think up something useful for these
> machines to do?

All five of them left?

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com