Subject: NetBSD/pc532 directions
To: None <port-pc532@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-pc532
Date: 06/19/2006 15:25:27
I'm not sure I want to bring this up, but...

Do we want to:
1) Do the necessary work to make the PC532 work with /current again
2) Leave a note saying that you should do a cvs co -D <whenever>
         if you want to get anything useful for it
3) Just leave it all as it is to further bit-rot

There was some talk about incorrect use of strncpy in the code base,
and a simple grep turned up two uses in sbin/bim.  They should be easy
enough to fix (if it's even considered a bug), but that left me with the
thought that maybe we should just push it into /Attic instead so other
people won't be bothered with it (and other related pc532 stuff) in the
future if something like this comes up again.

Mine has been off for maybe 5 years now, I keep meaning to turn it back
on and put it to some use, but...

I like my fond memories of it, and don't want to see those die, but at
the same time, I don't want it to waste anybody elses time either.  I'm
(ever so slightly) worried that someone will get upset at all the time
they wasted in a code sweep fixing "dead" code and then go on to develop
a deep seated resentment towards anyone that may have caused that
problem for them.

I suspect we are facing the same issues with GCC, GDB, and other pieces
of code we need too.

Thoughts, opinions, fond recollections for the memorial service?

Jon