Subject: Re: which connector for SCSI?
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 02/21/2005 12:52:21
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 05:14:32PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:

> hi again folks,
>
> I finally got around to trying the disk image that simon sent me,
> and it works well enough for what I'm trying to do, I think.
>
> the patch I've got so far to remove the cf_unit abuse for pc532 is at
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/chs/cfunit/diff.pc532
>
> it appears to work as well as the kernel that simon gave me,
> which isn't that great.  the autoconf output is the same (always a
> promising sign), but the serial driver only seems to work for the console
> while the system is single-user... when I let it go multi-user,
> nothing ever appears on the console or any other serial line.
> I set up /etc/ttys to run getty on all 8 serial lines so I figure
> I should see *something*.

Both with and without your diffs I can use the console in single- and
multiuser mode.  As with your observations, I have the same autoconf
output before and after too.

I'm not sure why you're not getting anywhere when you go to multiuser
mode.  Do you see anything at all after the "root file system" prompt,
or is it completely silent once /etc/rc starts up?  Could this be some
wierd serial config (parity maybe) problem?

> what's the mapping from the "CONN" labels on the motherboard to the
> tty0x devices (in the default configuration)?  on my system, CONN3 and
> CONN5 have cables attached, and CONN3 is tty00, aka. the console.
> I'm guessing that CONN5 should be tty02, is that right?

Yes, that's right.  I've not used more than one serial line since I got
the Cabletron SCSI-Ethernet adapter.  Prior to that I was running ppp
tty02.

> I tried building the lpt driver to test my changes in that file,
> but it gets syntax errors.  my change there is pretty simple,
> just to require that the addr and irq be specified in the config file.
> I guess no one has tried to use this driver for a long time.
>
> is -current working any better than this for anyone else?

As I mentioned, I'm running fine multi-user now (with a kernel with your
patches).

Cheers,
Simon.
--