Subject: 1.5.3: clock stalls
To: list NetBSD port-pc532 <port-pc532@netbsd.org>
From: Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/26/2002 11:21:36
Seasons greetings,

Due to severe leg pain I am spending a few days at home rather than
enjoying the outdoors - my pc532 is paying the price, being moved
to a smaller case (the Miniscribe finally retired) and the latest
NetBSD 1.5.3 installed. A cd was added too.

I just noticed that the clock on my machine is way off. I verified
that it was just fine last night. I then noticed these messages:

Dec 25 21:00:02 e1 newsyslog[197]: log file turned over
Dec 25 21:00:02 e1 syslogd: restart
Dec 25 e1 inetd[215]: warning: host name/name mismatch:
e7.eyal.emu.id.au != eyal.emu.id.au
Dec 26 03:19:53 e1 /netbsd: sd2: no disk label
Dec 26 03:19:54 e1 /netbsd: scn3: fifo overrun
Dec 26 03:44:29 e1 inetd[1018]: warning: host name/name mismatch:
e7.eyal.emu.id.au != eyal.emu.id.au

As you see, I last logged in at 21:25:52 . A backup was running (over
rsh on ppp0)
which finished at 01:41:02. The rlogin this morning (10ish) shows up as
03:44:29.

OK, cron shows 'daily' is run at 03:15, and I can see that it checks
disklabels
(/var/backups/disklabel.*) and this triggered the sd2 (which has no
disklabel being
my old minix disk) and scn3 (ppp0) messages.

It seems as if the clock stopped at this point.

This morning I noticed that my rlogin (over ppp0) is not responding. I
turned
on the vt100 (on scn0) and the fifo overrun message was then displayed.
Also
ppp0 resumed at this point. The rlogin window that was not responding
came back
to life at this point. I verified that ppp did not actually go down
during this
period but somehow quietly lost all data (I had a vmstat running in the
rlogin
window and it simply resumed after having missed about 7 hours worth of
lines).

Only later did I notice that the clock is wrong, and the login (after
ppp0
restarted) gives the time as 03:44:29 when it actually was after 10am. I
had
to set the date now.

BTW, I noted that whenever I do something like "disklabel -r sd2" I get
the
"no disk label" message, but often the system hangs for a long while
before
responding. Looks like something is blocking interrupts for a while.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>