Subject: Re: HEADS UP: need to rebuild vmstat on -current
To: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/26/2002 13:41:13
Jon Buller wrote:

> In message <20021124032320.GA20550@thistledown.com.au>, Simon Burge writes:
>
> >I'm still using the old toolchain and compiling natively.  I wouldn't
> >say that -current is "badly broken", but I've mainly been playing with
> >the kernel.  I've compiled some random userland programs, but that's
> >about it - I haven't tried building a complete snapshot for example...
>
> So I assume you have 1.5 (or so) userland + a new config and possibly
> make.  I thought that would force you to pull in a bunch of libc,
> and then just turn nasty, so I never bothered to try.  I may give
> it a go and see what happens.

I last did a full build over a year ago (around September 24, 2001),
which would have been 1.5Y.  Since then I've only updated a handful
of binaries - mtree, config, pkg_*, ld and vmstat.

> >I plan on having another look at gcc 3.x soonish; I haven't done so for
> >a couple of months.
>
> That would be good.  I think I heard Jason say he was working on
> GCC 3.x so I was going to wait for that.  (I'd help, but I don't
> think I could do a whole toolchain revamping project.)  I thought
> about just grabing 3.x and seeing if that would compile and drop
> in, but I don't have the disk space to try right now.

See my other mail to port-pc532.  GCC 3.x compiled a kernel, but failed
coming up to multiuser.  Jason Thorpe said that he thought Ian Dall said
there was still a codegen problem (but that's just about heresay with
two "he saids" :-).

> Good luck, let us know how it goes, and if you have some small odd
> jobs to go with it all, I might be able to help a little.  Although
> I need to put a bigger disk on that little machine...

I've got a 510MB "boot" disk with the OS and home directories and
whatnot, and a 2GB disk with /usr/src and some extra swap (the 50MB I
originally allocated on the boot disk wasn't enough - I added another
100MB and have been fine since).  /usr/src (with obj as well) is
around a gig.

What I do need to do is track down some 4MB memory sticks that work.
With just 8MB my box pages hard if I look at it sideways.  I got a few
from Matt Green that used to live in a sparc2, but they didn't work :(

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/