Subject: Re: How many pc532 still running ...
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/19/2001 04:38:02
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> The problem is that pc532s typically have no network access, and
> it is hard to netboot them, which makes doing evil kernel hacking and
> testing hard.

Network acces can be handled by a Cabletron box, or a PPP link to a Cisco
(something which I've done before).

In any case, I didn't see a colo'ed pc532 as a kernel hacking box.  Rather,
it would be for folks working in user-land that wouldn't otherwise have
access to an ns32532 box.

> One notion I've come up with is to simulate the system disk by running
> another netbsd box in SCSI target mode, thus allowing one to feed
> "disk images" to the box at will.

I've heard this proposed in a half-dozen different contexts, but never
implimented.

Ken