Subject: gcc 2.95.3 problems.
To: None <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/27/2001 11:28:03
Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> writes:

  > Hi folks,
  > I've been playing around with "new toolchain" (under gnu/dist/toolchain)
  > and have struck a couple of files where I get a "Could not find a
  > spill register" error from gcc 2.95.3.

I have been working on gcc for the ns32k and this sort of problem was
common. The bugs are not necessarilly in the machine specific
code. From snapshot to snapshot coming up to the gcc 3.0 release, bugs
in the register allocation would come and go with no change to the md
code. I got a number of fixes into gcc 3.0, but I haven't had time to
confirm whether the current gcc 3.x works.

The long and short of it is I wouldn't even bother trying with anything
pre gcc 3.0, and post gcc 3.0 might not work either.

I must say I had this as a pretty low priority since I was under the
impression I was pretty much the only one still running a pc532.  With
this flurry of activity, I will put some effort into checking out the
compiler.

Ian