Subject: Re: /usr/mdec/boot and bim.8
To: None <port-pc532@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/24/2001 09:26:41
In article <20010914171849.01E7A11D1C8@bullball.bullers.net>,
	jon@bullers.net (Jon Buller) writes:
> Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately the mozilla binary just runs in circles and never shows any
>> output on my screen :-(
>
> It's good to hear from you again Matthias.  As for Mozilla, it
> takes several minutes to start up on my SPARCStation LX with 48MB
> RAM, and at least 30 seconds to go from displaying one page to
> another.

I have it running on my shark so I know its deadslow. But on the pc532
its not eating CPU. Its calling gettimeofday over and over again.

>  I am reasonably convinced that the Mozilla team does not
> believe any computer exists that runs at less than 300MHz with
> 256MB RAM.  (It is fully useful on my 233MHz PowerMac G3, but it
> still doesn't seem to instantly pop things on the screen, like I
> think it should be able to.)

kde1 (no kde2 for the shark :-() seems to be faster than mozilla for
browsing.

> I once had games/abuse running on my pc532 but it took about 15
> minutes per frame update over the PPP link to the LX. 8^)  I'm
> not sure how much of that was the fault of using the X protocol
> over a 38400 baud link, and how much was pc532 CPU speed.

You should have run top in another window :-) My X-connection was plip
and I could use stuff like nethack-qt, spider or even LyX. I'm no longer
quite sure, but I think I even had kde running.

Regards, Matthias
--
Matthias Pfaller                            Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH    Tel   +49 8131 5161-41