Subject: Re: /usr/mdec/boot and bim.8
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/13/2001 16:52:40
Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Jon Buller wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we should just add something like: You can do this with the standard
> > ROM monitor by typing "download 260000" and "run 3be020".
>
> This sounds good.  I'm sure our volumes of users will appreciate it. :)

Yes, I'm sure both of them will be dancing in the streets. 8^)

> Now, the next two problems...
>
> 1)  The ROM monitor can't find the bim info.  The monitor just says
>     something like "disk not set up" or similar.  If I manually load the
>     kernel (good think I wrote the location down!), and run bim again,
>     it can find the previously entered info.  Note that I have a 500MB
>     disk (not big enough for a source tree) and my boot partition is at
>     the end of the disk.

I don't have this problem, but my ROM doesn't autoboot, so it knows nothing
about the boot partition anyway. 8^(

> 2)  I tried to build a -current kernel, and all but one file compiled
>     ok with -O2:

        [ error building ip6_mroute.c in -current deleted ]

>     but the kernel still links and runs.  Total build time for GENERIC
>     -current is around 3 hours, 10 minutes.

Well, I thought I'd start with building a 1.5.2 kernel with DDB to
see if I could get a good dump or stack trace of the UVM panic when
starting PPP after doing an "ifconfig ppp0 inet6 ..."  Now I can't
get the panic to happen again.  I guess that is a good thing.

I did have some warnings building (I think it was) db_trace.c That
caused problems since the kernel is built with -Werror, but the
kernel seems to work after I built it with the warnings.  (I'm not
sure I want to get a register dump with DDB though...)

> One of the things I want to do is convert the pc532 to ELF.  As far as
> I can see, there never has been a ns32k ELF spec.  If anyone has thought
> of this in the past, feel free to forward on any thoughts or ideas you
> had. :-)

That would be cool.  I kind of thought about it a bit, but I don't
have the skills or time to attempt such a thing.  If you need
someone to do some of the grunt work, (if it can be broken into
small pieces) just let me know.

Now to get CVS built, update the sources, and see about building
-current...

Jon