Subject: Re: /usr/mdec/boot and bim.8
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/12/2001 08:16:13
Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Jon Buller wrote:
>
> > I then did typed the rom
> > download command, but with no 0x on the 260000.  Could that be your
> > problem?
>
> Haha!  Is was the 0x that caused the problems.  The 1.5 install notes
> mention
>
> 	3.   load the floppy-144.fs at 0x260000
> 	4.   run at 0x3BE020

Good!

> Maybe change the release notes to reflect this?

Perhaps we should, but if you have a different monitor, the forth one
perhaps, the rules for typing that command might be markedly different.
That probably is not a big problem with this group though. 8^)

Perhaps we should just add something like: You can do this with the standard
ROM monitor by typing "download 260000" and "run 3be020".

> I'm now up to setting up pppd, but it's been a while and I don't seem
> to be able to get the Magick(tm) right.  Can I grab a copy of your ppp
> config files please?

I put off the reinstall on my machine a very long time because I
always have problems with it, and it's always a pain.  Anyway, my
pc532 /etc/ppp/options looks like this:

     /dev/tty01
     38400
     noauth
     crtscts
     defaultroute
     debug
     local

And the Sparcstation LX (acting as the home router) /etc/ppp/options
looks like this:

     /dev/ttyb
     38400
     crtscts
     passive
     local
     persist
     debug
     noauth
     192.168.2.1:192.168.2.2
     netmask 255.255.255.255

Actually, I think that's how they used to be, those files have been
moved to /etc/ppp/peers/<other-machine-name> and I added some ipv6
stuff.  I think the only critical things I really needed were local
and perhaps crtscts (beyond the obvious stuff).  I think you can
skip the persist and passive stuff if you start both sides of the
link in a timely manner.

Jon