Subject: /usr/mdec/boot and bim.8
To: None <port-pc532@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-pc532
Date: 09/10/2001 15:55:27
I finally got my pc532 to boot again!  I't been down for a year or
two because of a drive crash and me being too lazy to get it all
installed and running again.  I last tried to get it going around the
release of NetBSD-1.5 to assist with the release build and testing, but
had no luck.

Anyway, I really don't want to believe what appears to be happening:

Either /usr/mdec/boot is corrupt, or bim.8 is broken, or my machine
can't deal with properly executing the binaries.  I have copies of
the 1.3.3, 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.5 releases on my machine.  None
of them can run bim on my Conner hard drive from the floppy image
and get a working boot loader on the disk, but I was able to just
download the 1.5 floppy image, do a "write 2 3be000 50", and get
a working loader.  (Well, it got all the way to telling me I didn't
configure rc.conf and dumped me into the shell, instead of the rom
giving me a breakpoint address as soon as I tried running the loader.)

If anyone can give me some data points on if an install worked for
them and what they did in the past 2 or 3 years, I my try to figure
out what is going on here.  Otherwise I think I might add a note to
the INSTALL doc saying that you might have to get everything set
up, then reset your machine, download the floppy image again, copy
the boot loader out of the image onto your disk, and continue on.

Question for further thought and extra credit:  Why does the floppy
image have a working boot loader in it, but can't seem to install
a working one.  Or, what could I have been doing wrong, as this is
just too weird to be true.

Jon