Subject: Re: 1.5 Installation
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/01/2000 18:23:03
> Sorry Jon,
>
>   I didn't get the install stuff fixed.  It looks like installs need
> to be done by hand.

No problem.  (I'm not paying you to do it after all. 8-)  I'm just
trying to think of the simplest way to get a bare PC532 motherboard,
with a bare 1GB internal SCSI disk attached and a console serial
cable to a Sparcstation LX, up and running NetBSD-1.5 or -current.
I was hoping that it would be the 1.5 floppy-144.fs file.

I suppose I could pull the drive out and put it on the Sparc. Then
give it a sparc disklabel and filesystem, with all the pc532
binaries, and dd a pc532 partition map on it.  (Or could I just
run bim on the Sparc?) Then move it back to the pc532, download a
kernel (with endian independent ffs support) over the serial port
and go.  (I kind of want to avoid moving drives around, since I've
had a whole bunch of them go bad on me recently, and I don't feel
like tempting fate yet again...)

Alternately, I could see if someone could build a 3 or 4 meg disk
image to ftp and then dd onto the drive.  (Which would still require
a screwdriver...  OK, I guess I am getting lazy.)  Or I suppose I
could just install NetBSD-1.4, and upgrade it to -1.5 (and haul it
up to -current if desired.)

Anything easier that I might have missed?  Any deep pits to avoid
on the above ideas?  Just kind of thinking out loud...  (Please
ignore the sounds of rusty gears about to seize up... 8-)

Jon