Subject: Active, inactive, and non-users...
To: None <jonb@paclink.com>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 12/13/1999 09:38:10
Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com> writes:

  > Phil Nelson recently posed a question that got me wondering along
  > the lines that follow.  (I'm not sure he meant it this way, but I
  > think it would be good to know anyway.)

  > How many people still have their pc532's?  How many still use them?
  > Regularly?  Is it worth the effort of building and maintaining
  > future NetBSD/pc532 releases?  For how long?

Well, I still use mine! Believe it or not it is my "server", though I
think it will soon (next six months) it will become a
router/firewall/terminal server only. Some things (eg gnome, mozilla)
are just too slow to be useable on a pc532, but with the 230.4 kb/s
uarts it can handle a ppp link admirably and the Cabletron
scsi/ethernet is no bottleneck when my connection to the internet is
POTS.

I'd like to keep it running and current if possible, though I think I
might move to cross compiling if that ever becomes easy. Partly it is
nostalgia, but also as I said, I do have a role it can still perform
well.

Ian