Subject: Re: gcc problems (hopefully) over
To: None <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 03/31/1998 09:58:17
Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu> writes:

  >> I just commited a couple of changes to gcc. It should be possible to rebuild
  >> the system again without problems. All the improvements done by Ian are
  >> back in the source again.

  > egcs was just imported with the indication that all ports should be using
  > that version in the very near future.  Have you looked at the ns32k egcs
  > support and seen what is needed?  Also, can these enhancments be moved to
  > egcs?

Yes. I have built egcs for the ns32k with very little problem. In
fact, many of these changes where developed on egcs and retrofitted to
earlier versions rather than the other way around. With egcs you
actually get an extra feature --- the -mmult-add option which allows
the use of the polyf and dotf instructions. The option is in earlier
versions but often causes a fatal error in register reload. With egcs
(and gcc 2.8) the compiler uses the SMALL_REGISTER_CLASSES strategy
when the -mmult-add option is given and not
otherwise. SMALL_REGISTER_CLASSES is still a hack IMO.

I did this a while ago, so I'd have to get a recent version of egcs
and check it all still works.

Ian