Subject: Re: gcc improvements
To: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 07/16/1997 12:15:54

Matthias Pfaller wrote:
> That was Jon Buller and me. I think Jon sent the code to Richard Kenner
> (is this true Jon?). Should I mail the diffs to the list? I think Jon
> (or I) did this already one or two years ago.

Was it that long ago already?  I did send the code to Richard
Kenner, and I got a response that it would be rolled in sometime.
I don't know if that has happened yet.  (I would hope so...)  The
port-pc532 archives should have the final diffs, and several buggy
versions as well.

As I remember, we were unable to get it to do register to memory,
or memory to register operations.  That would be a win if one of
the int64's was in memory, as it is now it will load the in-memory
argument (and use 2 registers in the process) and then operate.

If you figure that part out, you might want to consider memory to
memory operations too, as in very register tight situations, where
nothing is in the CPU, it would be faster to do a memory to memory
operation than to spill, load, operate, save, etc.  It did not
appear to happen often enough that it was worth the bother (or in
my case, the risk of breaking it) but I didn't run a lot of code
past it either.

Jon Buller