Subject: re: pc532 Forth and autoboot monitors
To: None <budd@cs.bu.edu>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 05/21/1997 16:23:52
> I've tweaked the sources for Jordan's Forth and Phil's autoboot
> monitor to build under NetBSD.

Yea!  Thank you!

> The items marked with *** in the WISHLIST (below) are why I started
> this (and Philip Z's amazement that the sources required Minix to
> build)!

They didn't require minix.  They required the "bruce" toolset. (I think,
it has been awhile.)

> 		move source to /sys/arch/pc532/stand/ ??

Sounds good to me.  Or ...532/firmware/, or ...532/prom/

> 		use compression (decompress and run from ram)???
> 			32732 byte image compresses to 17897 bytes!!

Interesting idea.  The memory diag would need to stay uncompressed.

> 4. save info (in block zero ???)
> 	default console rate
> 	autoboot enabled
> 	autoboot delay
> 	default boot string

One thing I've been wanting to add is a dip-switch, which the firmware
would read for things like console baudrate and whether to boot multiuser
or not.

> 5. diags
> 	memory test??

Yes!  Even just a simple one.

> 	SCSI probe

Yes!  Perhaps with an option to probe for all LUNs.

It is supposedly possible to add another address wire and use
a 64 KB PROM instead of the 32 KB one.  (From the mailing list
archives.)

-Dave