Subject: inst-12D.fs.gz in the newest snapshot
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 05/11/1997 21:03:20
Thanks for the mini-root image.  However there are a couple of problems
I thought you might like to know about.

First, the code in the install script that deals with disk labels is not
correct for a disk without a disklabel.  It can edit an existing label
just fine, but it can not create one.  In fact the only way I've been
able to create an on-disk label is to type "disklabel sd0 > foo" to
get the fictious in-core label in an editable form.  Then, fix the problems
with it (like it only having one partition that is much larger than the
entire disk) using vi.  This is also the point where I used factor on the
total sectors, rather than the supplied cylinders, heads, and sectors/track.
Finally, write this out with "disklabel -R -r sd0 foo".  Is there a way to
get disklabel to edit the fictious in-core label, and write it out when
finished?  The best I ever got was to have it spew about not having a label
on disk, and ask if I wanted to re-edit the file...

The other thing is that the install script allows you to setup the network,
with (somthing I don't remember), slip, and ppp.  However there is no pppd,
so that makes the ftp install kind of difficult, same with the NFS install...

Can we squeeze pppd into the image without blowing the floppy-sized image
constraint?  Is there a better way to initialize the label on a blank disk?

Thanks,
Jon Buller