Subject: Re: tty problems with Jan11 kernel
To: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/17/1997 07:14:22
> That's because you didn't install a new boot program. The integration
> of ddb showed that we had a small bug in boot.c that prevented the
> preservation of the symboltable.

OK, that will be fixed real soon.  I guess I'll have to get used
to typing that new address 3... instead of 180000 when I boot.  I
guess I really should get around to loading an autoboot image into
an EPROM or the NV-SRAM I'm using now.

> Ok. Aug 10 was before I integrated Phil's improved driver. Could you
> please try adding local/softcar keywords to your /etc/ttys? I don't have
> terminals hanging from any port but the console port. It's not that easy
> for me to change this. The console cable is an internal connection
> between my i386 X-Terminal and my pc532 (both share one housing).

Ah, yes, that is what you were after...  I never tried the new
driver with more than the console and the PPP link to my ISP.  When
I saw how well it did with the PPP link, a backed off to my old
kernel.  I am now in the unfortunate position of having upgraded
all my user-land code, so I can't really go back anymore. 8-(

I did try the local and softcar keywords in /etc/ttys on tty01 and
it did not seem to have any effect on the other Sun ELC / pc532
serial link.  (The main link being the Sun-ttya to pc532-tty00
console link.)

I'll help in any way I can if you need testing or a machine to work
on, but with a dynamic IP address to the Internet, we may have
trouble doing much with that, and slow and painful as debugging
through e-mail may be, that may be our best route here...

As a hint to what might be wrong (or perhaps a hint to throw everyone
off the track) ps says getty is running, and I seem to get characters
echoed from the driver at some speeds, but others look like baud-rate
mismatches.  I have never gotten a login prompt.  And I'm still
using cu on the Sun to connect to the pc532.  I have these entries
in /etc/gettytab and /etc/ttys:

default:\
	:np:ce:ck:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

2|std.9600|9600-baud:\
	:sp#9600:
g|std.19200|19200-baud:\
	:sp#19200:
std.38400|38400-baud:\
	:sp#38400:

console	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	on secure
tty01	"/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"	unknown	on local softcar
tty02	"/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"	unknown	off
tty03	"/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"	unknown	on

Jon