Subject: Re: tty problems with Jan11 kernel
To: None <jonb@metronet.com, port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 01/16/1997 01:08:59
> I can't get anything out of any getty other than the one running on
> the console.

Funny, I had my (3-wire) console freeze under a -current kernel, I
added "softcar" and "local" keywords to /etc/ttys, and then could get
to a login: prompt.  For the console "softcar" should have been
redundant (I haven't gone back and removed it to see), since the
driver blats the bit to "on" for the console (should really be done
via a "flags" argument in the config file), so that leaves "local"
(which does interact with the "wait for carrier" stuff I did for the
sun-style bidirectional serial port stuff cuNN vs ttyNN).  I can't say
I'm clear on why both softcar and local exist; SunOS4 only has "local"
in ttytab.

That's my 2 centavos anyhow...
-p