Subject: Re: new serial driver
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/25/1996 09:58:16
Jon Buller wrote:
> This doesn't sound TOO hard, and if it's not what Mathias just
> checked in to the tree, (see below) I may try to work on it myself
> in a little while, however, I suspect that someone else will free up
> some time, look at the problem, ndd fix it before I figure it out what's
> going on.

No. The changes I made should not affect your problems :-( It's just
the kernel size that goes down about 35kbytes (for KLONDIKE). And
softint handling is less expensive now. If you are interested, you
can look at the comments in intr.c:intr_init().

> > BTW, I just checked in a new method to handle software interrupts. It
> > works fine on my machine, but I'd be glad if there where some testers
> > out there. The new method is based on a idea from Phil Budne. I'm using
> > a spare interrupt in the ICU to trigger a call to check_sir. The interrupt
> > I'm using is the same as Phil is using in the scn driver when the HSOFT
> > option is present. If you have HSOFT in your config file, this will no
> > longer work.
>
> I just SUPped to see if I could get it, as I saw the notice on
> source-changes.  Guess I'll have to wait for teh SUP scan tonight
> though, as I didn't get them.  What is HSOFT anyway?  Never heard
> of it and don't use it.  Guess that's good from a serial driver
> and upgrading standpoint 8-)

HSOFT is/was an option of Phil's serial driver. The new driver had the
option to use an hardware interrupt for it's softints. But now I'm
using this interrupt all software interrupts, so HSOFT will no longer
work.

Matthias
--
leo@dachau.marco.de			in real life: Matthias Pfaller
marco GmbH, 85221 Dachau, Germany	tel: +49 8131 516142