Subject: Re: new serial driver
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@dachau.marco.de>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/24/1996 14:50:25
Jon Buller wrote:
> Second, I have those fifo overruns.  Never had them before, but
> then I don't think the old driver used the interrupts/fifos. At
> least the kernel never reported allocating interrupts for them. On
> the other hand, how could you reliably get data at 38400 without
> interrupts?  Is there some way to avoid the overruns?  I run the
> 14.4 modem on tty02 at 38400 if that makes any difference...

The old kernel did not report interrupts...

> After that, I should have a bit more time if someone needs more
> info or test time on my system. (Phil, Matthias, Anyone? 8-)

Ian Dall has problems connecting his sun3 to his pc532 with the new
driver. I just tested it between two pc532s running ppp with 57600
baud (and hardware handshake). I never get fifo overruns. When doing
tests with ftp, I get about 5400 bytes/second. The console port of my
second pc532 is connected to tty01 on my main machine. When I connect
to the second pc532's console (without handshake) I get fifo overruns
from time to time (not often).

BTW, I just checked in a new method to handle software interrupts. It
works fine on my machine, but I'd be glad if there where some testers
out there. The new method is based on a idea from Phil Budne. I'm using
a spare interrupt in the ICU to trigger a call to check_sir. The interrupt
I'm using is the same as Phil is using in the scn driver when the HSOFT
option is present. If you have HSOFT in your config file, this will no
longer work.

Matthias
--
leo@dachau.marco.de			in real life: Matthias Pfaller
marco GmbH, 85221 Dachau, Germany	tel: +49 8131 516142