Subject: new serial driver
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-pc532
Date: 11/23/1996 18:43:39
Here's the interesting part of my first boot on a current kernel since
before the 1.2 release...

Nov 23 17:33:36 bullbox pppd[122]: pppd 2.3.0 started by jonb, uid 100
Nov 23 17:34:10 bullbox pppd[122]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty02
Nov 23 17:34:10 bullbox pppd[122]: local  IP address 192.245.137.49
Nov 23 17:34:10 bullbox pppd[122]: remote IP address 192.245.137.19
Nov 23 17:34:20 bullbox /netbsd: scn2: fifo overrun
Nov 23 17:34:52 bullbox last message repeated 10 times
Nov 23 17:36:51 bullbox last message repeated 24 times
Nov 23 17:37:38 bullbox last message repeated 14 times
Nov 23 17:52:58 bullbox pppd[122]: Modem hangup
Nov 23 17:52:58 bullbox pppd[122]: Connection terminated.
Nov 23 18:08:25 bullbox su: jonb to root on /dev/console

There are 2 things to note from this.  First, pppd saw the modem
hang up.  It never used to, and I passed some LCP parameters to
pppd to give up when the connection had gone.  I like pppd getting
SIGHUP much better.  This part is looking real good.

Second, I have those fifo overruns.  Never had them before, but
then I don't think the old driver used the interrupts/fifos. At
least the kernel never reported allocating interrupts for them. On
the other hand, how could you reliably get data at 38400 without
interrupts?  Is there some way to avoid the overruns?  I run the
14.4 modem on tty02 at 38400 if that makes any difference...

Third, (but not from the above log file) I am now unable to connect
my ELC to my pc532 via ppp on tty01.  'stty -a -f /dev/tty01' says
it's running at 9600, but I couldn't get a login at 9600, only
character echo. (I think, I didn't test more than \n, ^c, and ^d.)
The real problem here is that the gettytab should be setting it to
38400, and it does on my old kernel, but not the new one...

I also have problems with netstat and ps, but I figure those are
kernel/library/program conflicts that can be fixed with yet another
round or two of recompiling and installing.

I'm backing out to the old kernel for the moment because I have a
project due in Advanced Operating Systems due real soon, and I'll
need a network to test everything.  I've been doing it all on NetBSD
here at home because everyone else in class is whining about everyone
else leaving all their servers running, and the machine running
out of process table space, and UDP ports.  Besides, I want to stay
away from Slowaris until I make a last minute port and recompile.
The loopback interface should be enough for development, but I'll
need a bit more network to test the project before turning it in.

After that, I should have a bit more time if someone needs more
info or test time on my system. (Phil, Matthias, Anyone? 8-)

Once again, thanks for all the effort, I use it everyday.
Jon Buller