Subject: Miscellaneous problems
To: None <port-pc532@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/26/1996 09:55:30
The support for the Cabletron ethernet interface finally provided the
incentive for me to switch from Lites/Mach to NetBSD. Previously, I
was using the NetBSD environment (executeables config files etc) but
really only using the NetBSD kernel as something to benchmark lites
against.

Anyway I ran into a few minor problems. I am running a 1.1 environment
(executeables config files etc) with a 1.2beta kernel.

Here are the problems:

1. Sometimes the system appears to hang in /etc/rc when going
  multi-user.  After printing the "setting tty flags" message I would
  get a single "s" presumably the first character of the "setting
  network" message and that would be it. Putting a "set -x" at this
  point makes it all work, as does commenting out the "ttyflags -a"
  command. This is the same /etc/rc and ttyflags which worked fine
  for me with Lites/Mach. Since adding the set -x makes the problem go
  away, I am guessing some sort of race in the tty driver. I might try a
  "sleep 1" after the "ttyflags -a" command.

2. When I close my ppp link, it doesn't hang up the line. This is a
  line with -clocal and hupcl. The line should be hung up on the last
  close. I can do "stty -f /dev/tty07 0" which works, but should be
  unnecessary.

3. After the last close, dtr is left asserted. It should be
  de-asserted since the DTE (ie the pc532) is most definitely not
  ready. Without this, modems with auto-answer enabled will answer
  when there is no process to handle the data.

I hope this is useful. I haven't really got time at the moment to look
into it further.

Ian