Subject: Re: Cabletron "etherd" program for NetBSD
To: None <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-pc532
Date: 08/25/1996 21:26:30
> Well, I have purchased my Cabletron, and a 10BaseT tranceiver for my sun3

sun3, not pc532?  What sort of sun3 do you have that doesn't have an
onboard iNTEL or Lance ethernet chip?

> and it works!

Great!  You're #3.  Sverre bought one also...  Philip Z. plans mount
his on a blank ISA card, and get power that was as well...

> I got "no route to host" message... I couldn't get it to work until
> I did something like "route add -net 10.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 -interface".

Hmmm....  My code should issues an equvalent command (via a routing
socket) for the dest net (as determined from the tunnel interface addr
and mask), and no manual route commands should be needed.

> One thing, I had a ppp running which set up a default route ...

I don't think that should have mattered...

> I assume block IO and paging/swapping is not done in a process context.

They're done by process zero!

It's since occured to me that the natural way to allocate memory for
packets in a SCSI ethernet driver is to use mbufs.  You just have to
make sure that when they get wrapped in a block I/O "struct buf" to
hand to the SCSI I/O system that the buffers will never get freed (by
normal block I/O routines).

-phil